How to build using clang in Kdevelop

Ok, dumb noob question. How do I build and run a simple hello world in Kdevelop? I can build on the command line using this command:

clang++ -std=c++11 main.cpp -o main

This will give me the executable and then I can run it in Kdevelop using the run configuration. I set it as a dependency to be built before running but the build is doing nothing. Build button or menu build selection, build project all does nothing. Do I need to set up a cmake file or cmakelist.txt file or whatever it’s called? Or something else? Build windows doesn’t open or anything when i click build.

Correct. See How to add C++ compiler in `kdevelop`?

Once it’s configured, you should see the option to use clang in the settings.

ok I have a CMakeLists.txt:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0)

project(c_plus_plus LANGUAGES CXX)

# Define the executable target
add_executable(c_plus_plus
    src/main.cpp
    src/running_sum_of_1d_array_1480.cpp  # Include your additional source file here
)
# Include the 'include' directory for the target
target_include_directories(c_plus_plus PRIVATE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/include)

# Install the executable
install(TARGETS c_plus_plus RUNTIME DESTINATION bin)

# Specify C++ standard
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17)
set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED ON)

But when I click the build icon it does nothing.

There is also a Build Sequence pane below the Project pane on the left where I assume you’re supposed to select files and click the plus ‘+’ sign to add things you want built? So then what? Select them in the lower pane and click the build icons? None of them do anything. Do you do it that way or does it use the CMakeLists.txt? It’s so confusing I can’t get anything to work. There’s nothing in any output widow, no clue what’s wrong. Is there a log somewhere with clues?