“KDE Linux” is just the name of two projects stuck together. It sounds like what KDE neon functions as, rather than a distinct thing of its own. Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Arch, etc. are all one single word.
It has always been “Arch Linux”. “Arch” is just a nickname.
To be honest, some of these really have two words in their proper, correct official names.
Linux Mint
Arch Linux
or even
Gnome OS
On the other hand keeping the original name would be more confusing ![]()
it started as banana so we shall see where this goes.
it’s still in beta so there will likely be a different name when it becomes a product for mass consumption.
Still in alpha! 85% of the way to beta, to the extent that you can put a number on it.
I like the name KDE Linux ![]()
I mean its Linux but by KDE. Its about as straightforward and to the point as possible. Or we could call it Bananos and really confuse people.
it’s a bit too straightforward… as in generic.
when invariably, ppl go to search how to do something in “kde linux” they are going to get a lot of false positive cruft to sort thru.
where as searching for “bannanos” is probably going to take you directly to what you are looking for.
i don’t object to KDE and linux being part of the name, i’m just thinking about the user experience
KDEOS
has nice ring to it (kay-de-ous)
The name isn’t something we plan to change.
Will they?
Take for example “kde linux mount network disk”. The first search result is the exact right thing.
ok, but you know how search engines work
“kde linux running bash scripts”
for instance gives full page of results without a single mention of your product.
True, but that’s also not going to require a KDE-Linux-specific answer; every way you’ll find of running bash scripts works on KDE Linux.
And if it were called “KDE OS,” a search for “kde os running bash scripts” also wouldn’t return results that were any better.
Our documentation in KDE Linux has thus far focused on the cases where something needs to be done differently on KDE Linux compared to a typical Linux-based OS, or where KDE Linux offers a more optimized or better-supported approach compared to what you find elsewhere.
But sure, I can add a “how to run bash scripts” page too ![]()
Keeping it simple, by just making the correct name ‘kde-linux’, ‘KDE-Linux’ which ever makes sense, but ‘with the hyphen’ will help a great deal with search engines.
Typing a search term ‘kde linux’ will return a mixed bag of results.
typing a search for ‘kde-linux’ or ‘KDE-linux’ or ‘KDE-Linux’ will prioritise the name with the hyphen first in most search engines, then add all the other variants.
KDE-Linux is easy to say, easy to write and ‘says it all’.
it also distinguishes between it and KDE-neon. Two systems, that while they are years apart so far in versatility, can be differentiated until KDE-Linux can actually be used for day to day work (once all the nasties have been fixed).
At the moment KDE-Linux is a pretty toy compared to KDE-neon, but if the weird stuff can be fixed it should become fairly useful. neon has the advantage of being a fully fledged OS that can do just about anything in any environment.
Once KDE-Linux can overcome the sad lack of software (not its fault) and the 'apparently rather limited interconnectivity with networks ( I haven’t tried to set up filesharing ‘from’ KDE-Linux to a network for a week but last time it was impossible).
A good part of the problem was that KDE-Linux was not showing in Search results, and KDE Linux was resulting in mostl,y ‘either/or’ results; mostly referencing setting up a Samba Server in Kubuntu, Neon etc.
So KDE-Linux ‘might’ be a nice useful and simple name that finds its way int search results.
N O T E! I should not write stuff when I am tired.
I just read this and realise how it sounds, so I’ll jump in before someone bites me.
The ‘pretty toy’ comment was comparing my daily driver KDE-neon which I’ve used for many years, with the current ‘apparent’ daily ability of KDE-Linux.
Things like trying to create a Samba Share on a directory in KDE-Linux so it can easily fit into another network.
The comment wasn’t about KDE-Linux ‘not doing’ the share (because there’s NO Samba Server apparently available’. The problem for me is that so far Searching for KDE Linux comes up with lots of help for ‘other’ Linux distros running KDE.
I’m well aware that KDE-Linux is still Alpha software, and I assume someone is working on a way to make it fit into a network as easily as KDE-neon does.
I just believe that until it can do useful things ‘easily’ (or until help to make it do a lot of useful; things can be looked up) it is still just something decorative and interesting, and fun to play with.
Google returns the exact same first page of results for kde linux and kde-linux, in slightly different order:
kde linux home
kde community
kde.org - Distributions with Plasma and KDE Applications
reddit - What is KDE and is it good for beginners. : r/linux4noobs
wikipedia - KDE Linux
youtube - KDE Linux | First Look - Immutable Arch KDE Distro
"kde linux" returns somewhat different results.
So today’s search engine might be too clever for hyphen to be useful.
KDEOS … no space.
I feel like no matter what people will get confused, at least while KDE-Linux is still a small project. A while ago I made my post about what hardware people where running KDE Linux on and people constantly confused it for KDE + Linux (insert copy pasta here), so idk. I think this will probably be an issue until KDELinux gets a critical mass, and becomes a known entity like Linux Mint, or the like.
Bananos is still on the table tho.
I often search along the lines of “how to mount network disk on linux kde” to look up how certain behavior works in plasma not “kdelinux”. Yes “plasma” is the name but “kde” has far better SEO. Because of how search works by just looking up individual words, this will always be a problem.
I don’t agree with the philosophy that users need to fix what they say or get better at search. It does solve the problem that we already have a confusing set of products and we chose to make it worse by throwing KDE Linux in the mix. As both KDE (the community) and the Linux Distro grows, it will only get worse.
Adding any other word or adjective to the “KDE Linux” project and it will make life of everyone easier. (Banana Linux is miles better for search than KDEL). No one will stumble on kdelinux docs when looking up stuff from other distros and vice versa.
So its decided. Its now officially called BananOS. I expect the revised documents on my desk by the end of next week! /s /j
And just like that, another niggle is solved.
Using Dolphin on the ‘other’ computer, and sharing a directory using the proper settings, my file sharing is working perfectly BOTH ways. Which means everything I ‘need’ to do except reliable VNC is running, and the only thing I can think of that keeps failing is printer support for my Brother printers.
The above is likely user error because I had cups support working fine a week ago."
On the ‘would like it - but nott absolutely necessary’ is support for Kvantum theming. I know there’s a workaround somewhere, but so far I’m missing it. The Flatpack Kvantum doesn’t include kvantum-manager.
So my comment on KDE-Liinux being a bit of an interesting toy, is now upgraded to:
KDE-Linux is something I am using daily as my ‘main’ OS, and Neon is what I switch to ‘Just In Case’ I need it. Or to access my media collection etc.
I still think the name KDE-Linux with the hyp-hen might solve some of the search engine listing dramas . .
I quite like Kadeos, (spell it kdeos if you like) has a nice ring to it. Too bad KaOS is already taken…