Kde partition manager

Hi, I need free space to install a dual boot windows because I have important things to do on it (play league). And using Kde partition manager i cant resize my partition (partition is unmont) for some reason. Any explanations ?

so why can’t you just type 100GB into the “Free space after:” dialog box?

I’d bet they are trying to do it from within the running OS, which you can’t resize the partition your OS is on from within said OS. That Said…

@Bonapart if I’m right there are two things you should know. First since you want to install Windows you will need to either wipe the drive and install Windows first or follow what is a complicated method for installing Windows on a drive that already has Linux on it without destroying your Grub bootloader. To be honest I would never attempt the later. Second to shrink you running OS partition you’ll need to go into your live environment / flash key and do it from there. That said honest I would see if you can get what you want running running in Linux using Wine.

They said that the partition is unmounted.

It isn’t clear from the screenshot which operating system and what filesystem they are trying to resize - not all file systems support shrinking, for example XFS does not, so to shrink that youd need to backup all the data, remove the partition and recreate it smaller, then restore all the data. Clonezilla can do this semi-automatically.

We need to know what file system the OP is running cause their minimum is the same as the maximum and it shouldn’t be.

That is indeed a good indication that the file system does not support shrinking.

@Bonapart can you share a screenshot of the main window of the KDE partition manager, where the table with the list of partitions is shown, and specifically the “Type” column is visible?

1 Like

here it is and im trying to shrink my home parition since root partition

Wow… ehmm… using F2FS for your operating system is not a great idea - for a PC. F2FS was designed for IoT devices that you aren’t supposed to mess with, and may be useful for other edge cases - if you know exactly what you are doing, which I’m assuming isn’t the case because of this post…

So - to sum it up: you cannot resize a partition with an F2FS file system.

If you want a different partition layout - for example if you want to install another operating system on the device - you will need to reformat your drive and re-install all the operating systems, after designing your layout to account for both operating systems.

BTW - which Linux operating system are you using, that installed the system partitions on F2FS? I really want to know so I can tell all my friends not to use it…

2 Likes

actually a friend did the setup with his config, so yes i dont know exactly what im doing ahah.
and im using arch (like a real ogs)

Well, Arch is great, and AFAIK it’s default is ext4 which is very useful and good even if not my first choice - and you would have been better served if your friend stayed with the default.

Generally, when installing for other people who aren’t experts - it is always better to just use the defaults: it lets them learn on their own terms and makes it easy to get help. The other option - which I assume wasn’t taken either in this case - is to explain and discuss every non-default choice to make sure you know what the downsides are.

My recommendation is again - backup all your data and re-install your operating system using the default configuration. Arch is great and you can keep it, but make sure to bookmark the Arch wiki - you are going to need it a lot :smiley: (and it is also generally a great resource for learning all about Linux, even if you aren’t running Arch - I don’t and I consult it aaaalllllllll the time).

2 Likes

Most Arch distros now allow for using BTRFS which is what I would suggest, cause it will allow you to have either Timeshift or Snapper snaphots available on their grub menu if you should need to roll the system for any reason. My suggestion would be to backup what you can’t afford to lose and install Windows like you want and then shink it’s partition either from within Windows doing a reboot after to allow for it to to do the resizing, and then install whichever Arch based distro into the now free space on the drive. Personally I would check the various distros and see which ones have already released new ISO with Plasma 6 included. I would also make sure whichever you select is using the systemd init system.

EDIT: with your experience I would avoid Arch and use a Arch based distro as I mentioned above.

Additional notes:

1. I want to emphasize what @anon20537621 said - install Windows first and then Linux after it, otherwise - if you install Windows after Linux, Windows will take over the boot order and will not let you start Linux. Fixing that problem is annoying and you need to be a bit of an expert to do it, so its better not to get into that situation.
  2. If you choose to go with an Arch-based operating system instead of straight Arch: please do not use Manjaro; I would recommend looking at Garuda.
1 Like

Why?
If you are going to talk trash a distro, please provide information on why.

I, as an actual user of the distro, has been using plasma 6 since it was released on Arch stable, and have had zero problems.
Have been running Manjaro unstable for close to a year and I can strongly recommend it. (not unstable, that is not needed, stable works very well and the distro provides close to everything in the repos, repackaged to fit your installation)

Last time I recommended Manjaro to a friend, it didn’t end well - he had a lot of problems, most of which were packaging issues in Manjaro. But don’t take my word for it:

1 Like

Ah, that’s exactly what I expected.

• You have never used it.
  • You post links more than a year old (with things that has later been proven to be a human error, exactly like the KDE Theme deleting files, or the Neon plasma 6 update, a mistake)
  • You are spreading disinformation that is not true

So, as an actual user, I can HIGHLY recommend it as an entry point to a rolling release distro. Probably the absolute easiest one with the least problem to install whatever you want without needing to use anything other than pacman. :slight_smile:

Edit
To point out, I have no relation to Manjaro whatsoever (other than using it ofc), I just like facts to be true.

1 Like

you forgot this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY_HB9lOJhk :slight_smile:

Yeah, posting the exact same thing one more time does not change anything. Still untrue.

I don’t understand ppl who live on hate this way. For the youtubers I understand, they cash in on drama like this, but you?

If you were a previous user and had things to say, that would be a different story, but this is just pure hate.

1 Like

Have to Completely agree.

To be very blunt it’s about the devs there.

Well I have used it and I have no use for a distro that is only about the money they can make off of it by hocking wares people really don’t want and a forum that’s like a dictatorship.