Wallpaper Submission - Landscape

Hi! This is my first and only submission to the Plasma 6 competition.

The wallpaper set

The title of the artwork set presented here is Landscape.

The scene was created, rendered and composited using Blender 4.0 (alpha & stable). Enjoy!

Landscape Day

16 Likes

Landscape Night

12 Likes

Landscape Day Vertical

3 Likes

Landscape Night Vertical

4 Likes

I am the sole author of the above images (no 3rd party resources were used), however another artist has provided me with indispensable feedback and inspired me to do better. Thank you!

“Landscape” is licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0, and was made by me specifically for this competition, based on the presented themes.

Who am I?

I’m a long time KDE Plasma user, FOSS fanatic, artist, video-maker, educator and an indie game developer.

Right now I work professionally as a tech artist/ sound designer in game development. After hours I foster an open-source music-making community, make games in the Godot Game engine, make music and videos (sometimes) with and about FOSS and also way too many other projects to keep up.
If you’re into making music on Linux, you might recognize me :slight_smile:

On a more personal note:

I’m also diagnosed with and medicated for ADHD and depression.

3 Likes

Extras

Here’s my source idea. Only read once you already have your own interpretation (all are valid!):

I had an idea for a landscape that is a beautiful, safe and sustainable space to grow and create in.

And here’s a collection of WIP images showing how this artwork changed over time:

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

This looks awesomeee!!!

2 Likes

Lovely work! I watched a lot of your videos, if only I had them 10 years ago when I started using Linux and messed around with Jack, I’d probably still be a musician

1 Like

Any tips for people with ADHD wanting to get into game development?

Lovely work, this looks great!

2 Likes

Thanks!

My advice is - channel your energy into creating portfolio projects. Try to lock your rampant attention in a room with all your portfolio projects and try to limit that to what you can finish. Limitations breed creativity. Give yourself challenges, don’t go too ambitious at first though. Start small, get confident, go bigger, learn your lessons before you move on.
Having some experience with game engines and programming always helps. If you can show a game you made, it’s also a plus, because it shows you have some understanding of the process and what’s needed.
Oh, and do solid research on opinions about companies before you go work for them - it’ll help you dodge some bullets :wink: Ask around if you can’t find anything. And don’t be discouraged by crazy requirements in job offers, if you match at least the basics - apply. Your portfolio is the biggest factor in the 1st stage. Your experience making small projects and what you learned on your own is probably the 2nd thing that you’ll be asked about in the 2nd stage (interview). Don’t get fixated on one offer and keep submitting - most won’t even reply to you, don’t care - keep scanning the offers, making portfolio pieces, learning and sending applications! One more thing - be aware of the crunch culture (especially unpaid “mandatory” overtime). Again - do research, ask around in local game dev groups etc.

Good luck!

1 Like