Windows Store version KDE Connect not working - gui all messed up

Hi,

I have a problem with the Windows version of KDE-Connect. The gui is all messed up on the screen and is unusable. This happens on both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Android and Linux are working well.

Will there be an updated Windows version soon?

Thanks.

ok firstly foremost make sure you fix the functionality and once that is working then work on the overall appearance. it looks like its working though

Thanks for the feedback.
Here is a better picture of how it looks. It’s completely unusable. Windows can receive files from Linux and Android, only I can’t actually use the Windows version.

There’s really nothing more I can do other than wait for a new release and keep my fingers crossed.

1 Like

Hello @mixfix41!

You seem to talk to people assuming we’re all developers: we’re not, and we probably can’t fix all the things you want us to fix by ourselves.

In this particular case, @LeoW is simply reporting a problem in the Windows version, their not the developer of KDE Connect.

Pleas keep that in mind when replying, as your responses might confuse people (thy do confuse me :slight_smile: )

Hi @LeoW !

I don’t use Windows and I never used the Windows Store either, but do you any way to install a previous version of KDE Connect?
To at least check if this is a regression in the last version.

Hi @richarson

I’m just wondering if I’m the only one that can’t use the Windows version. I’ve rebooted, reinstalled, but nothing helps.

Didn’t think about that. I will check the website. It seems the Microsoft store is the preferred distribution system. I can only find one downloadable version and it’s the same one I have. 22.12.3.-1284.

I will search for an older release than this one. Download | KDE Connect only has the one version that I’m running. Perhaps I’ll find one somewhere else.

Thank you.

I just installed the Microsoft store and everything is working fine. Try installing it. I think Microsoft store version is better since it is much easier to update apps with it.

Seems like you’re missing some font.

However, the best advice I can give you is: switch to Linux, your life will be a million times easier. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @sanjay-swain

Actually, I started with the store version on both Windows 10 and 11. It’s almost as though the graphics are corrupted and not displaying correctly. Perhaps there is a dependency that my computer has that is not correct only I would have no way of diagnosing that.

I have a third computer I will try it on.

What I really want is the most recent code available, even if it’s beta. I have a test laptop for that kind of stuff.

can anyone point me to the web location where I could download more current builds? Perhaps something that hasn’t been released yet.

Thanks.

If you are comfortable compiling code you could just build from source:

https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect#Build_KDE_Connect_from_source

Hi @Duha

Thanks. I found something better. Fresh nightly compiled builds. I am now running a build from this morning and my screen display/font problem is gone now!

The newer software fixed that part, only settings is broken. Can’t have everything I guess. I’ll limp along for now.

https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Windows%2064-bit/job/kdeconnect-kde_Nightly_win64/

Thanks all.

2 Likes

This is an issue with the font rendering :frowning: With Qt there are two ways to render font: native font rendering or using Qt own font rendering. And it seems the Native font rendering is broken on Android and Windows. I fixed Android not long ago by simply force Qt font rendering on Android and it seems we need the same thing on Windows :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks @carl

I’m running 1501, only “Settings” doesn’t work at all. Just a blank screen. Graphics are OK.

In 1500/1501 “settings” brings up a blank screen.

Went back to the Store version, and the GUI was messed up. It’s gone now.

Per

http://tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/ae294439-3ed0-49fc-bec4-5cb2f6a0bc45?P1=1682370648&P2=404&P3=2&P4=RX9GPerzM3POyjNXw0TsDKtc01zRppnf8bIqZH6eL7JP9XkZOJwcKR8OakxgtvHIl4TYkOr%2BagnpIhXPRf9C1Q%3D%3D

might be a cached older version.

That doesn’t seem like a good fix, though. Is there an (upstream) issue about it?

@richarson @rokejulianlockhart

The Microsoft store is the “default” distribution method for this software. Google store, Apple store, Microsoft store, Linux store.

Unfortunately, none of these platforms allow you to choose which version that you want to install They only let you install the latest one that they have.

I was able to locate the official website for the new builds that have graphics that work but settings that don’t I do not have a website address presently for a location that contains previous versions of KDE connect.

if somebody can give me a link to previous versions of the software I will try them Gladly and let everybody know if they work on my computers. I have 3 laptops 2 from Microsoft and one from Dell and a combination of Windows 10 and 11 And the version from the Microsoft store doesn’t work on any of them.

Thanks for the suggestions, and help. now that I’ve tried out the newest of the newest builds I need to go back a few steps only I need to locate where those are.

@rokejulianlockhart

I have no idea what the “known” issues are with the version I’m on. I just know it’s only a day old.

No, it is not a fix. Simply a workaround for now. Hopefully, the next store release will work all the way. fingers crossed.

I’m still on the hunt for an older version. part of the problem is there’s no way to tell what version you actually have running.

It’s too bad the software has no “About” menu that shows what version your running. I have to keep track of what version I’m installing manually in my notebook. that would make for a nice new feature.

Sorry, Windows Store version KDE Connect not working - gui all messed up - #15 by rokejulianlockhart was a lazy non-solution.

Try kdeconnect-kde_Release_win64 [Jenkins]. It should have older builds available, and since Windows Store version KDE Connect not working - gui all messed up - #15 by rokejulianlockhart only provides an .appx package, the .exe installer might work instead.

Try Artifacts of kdeconnect-kde_Release_win64 #1532 : / [Jenkins] first, and older builds after, if none of the new versions work.

Since http://tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/ae294439-3ed0-49fc-bec4-5cb2f6a0bc45?P1=1682370648&P2=404&P3=2&P4=RX9GPerzM3POyjNXw0TsDKtc01zRppnf8bIqZH6eL7JP9XkZOJwcKR8OakxgtvHIl4TYkOr%2BagnpIhXPRf9C1Q%3D%3D is

KDEe.V.KDEConnect_22.1203.1291.0_x64__7vt06qxq7ptv8.appx|653x345

I reckon that that’s the version that you’re using.

Use Get-AppxPackage (Appx) | Microsoft Learn to verify the Version.

1 Like

@rokejulianlockhart

Thank you for the additional links to software. I will give them a whirl.

Thanks for the Get-AppxPackage command. I don’t have the store version loaded any more.
I’d still like an “about” menu.

Luckily, using an .appx or .msix package isn’t necessary to get the version, despite the absence of an About page:

PS /home/rokejulianlockhart> kdeconnect-app --version
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "(c) 2015, Aleix Pol Gonzalez" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "KDE Connect" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "KDE Connect" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Maintainer" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "Aleix Pol Gonzalez" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kf.i18n: KLocalizedString: Using an empty domain, fix the code. msgid: "URL to share" msgid_plural: "" msgctxt: ""
kdeconnect.app 1.0

The kdeconnect.app 1.0 part should be what you want.