Are there any plans for a revamped breeze theme in Plasma 6?

I agree with this, after reading through all the responses in this thread, from developers to users alike, I do not think anymore that a total revamp is necessary. Although, I would like it if small, time-to-time, release-by-release changes were made to Plasma instead of a big revamp now.

As @ Guilherme said the less things are changed the smoother the transition will be. Personally I believe 6.0 should be merely the last stable version of 5 transitioned to QT6. That is what I would do, and indeed have done with Software I was responsible for developing, keep all changes to a minimum necessary.

As a matter of interest. This is how I use Firefox.

Note the Menu and on the right the Window Control Buttons. Below is how I use Some Applications, but not all (at the moment, just the ones I always run at Maximum)

What would be nice, is if it were possible to do the same on these KDE Windows as I can do with Firefox.

Perhaps once the 6 version is released and stabilised, some designer could sit down and work on something like that.

You can make it so that maximised windows do not show titlebar:

1 Like

Yeah, I already do thatā€¦ see my previous post.

I also run some windows in Full Screen mode, with no title bar, and no menu bar and no Status barā€¦ specificallt Konsole, and my VM window (it looks like the OS in the VM window is the actual active OS), on one of my Workspaces, because KDE has a setting that allows me to navigate away from a Full Screen Window.

2 Likes

Oohā€¦
On my side I prefer not, my firefox is configured to have a classic window title bar + a classic menu bar.

And Iā€™m stressful everytime I got an application with weird UI (especially application without menu bar that is just really hard to use for meā€¦)

So if the goal is to have more and more application without title bar or with hamburger menu & icons in title bar, computer life will start to be difficult for me.
Iā€™m really in no rush to see applications mutating in this way, even if I see more and more of them :smiling_face_with_tear:

Grum999

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually referring to the flexibility, one can, of course have Firefox with a full legacy Window Style, one can also remove the Title Bar, and have just the menu bar (plus the window control buttons), or one can have no menu bar, with the window control buttons in the tabs area, plus the, in my opinion, terrible Hamburger menu.

My preference is no Title bar. it gives me a reasonable compromise between extra vertical space and functionality.

Or worseā€¦

Breeze icons could use a slight visual update, but we really need to create some kind of common direction for creating new ones or redesigning some.

Breeze RC icons have been around for quite a while. They come in Chameleon too ( selection color adaption). They work well with the more rounded Lightly application style. For those who want to fiddle a bit,thereā€™s a breeze custom icon color script which, with a few adaptions you can use for the RCā€™s as well.

I propose we create a RoundedCornersAPI.com where we change the roundness of the corner according to the newest trends.

Then hook all the corners in KDE to that API. Weā€™ll always have the perfect rounded corners, every time the trends change.

Yes, I am joking. Hopefully.

In more serious note, people wanting more customization should check out Klassy: GitHub - paulmcauley/klassy: Klassy is a highly customizable binary Window Decoration and Application Style plugin for recent versions of the KDE Plasma desktop. It provides the Klassy, Kite, Oxygen/Breeze, and Redmond icon styles.

3 Likes

Although I use Klassy thereā€™s a clear warning by the klassy dev. WARNING: KDE Plasma 5.26 introduced a change which induces segfaults. Please do not use Klassy with Plasma 5.26. Development of Klassy will continue only once Plasma developers fix their bug.
This is increasingly the case with third party devs who abandon their projects due toā€¦ Whether itā€™s ui, desktop applications, decorations, kwin scriptsā€¦doesnā€™t matter. I highly doubt that a roundedcorners api will be implemented. As a matter of fact, Iā€™m fairly sure that, unless kde itself picks it up ( which I very much doubt), stuff like Lightly ( which already suffered from some changes) will not be compatible in the future. Breeze, as is, will remain for a veeery long time me think AND will become the only option.

Is the bug reported somewhere? I canā€™t find anything related to this.

Also what I tried, it seemed to work ok.

I may do my own Breeze fork at some point that allows tiny bit more customizations. Klassy does a lot of things, so itā€™s easy for it to break as well.

Post was too confusing and wasnā€™t a specific bug report. Deleted by user.

That is not a Bug report. No way any Dev can just browse all github pages and read the readme pages :smiley:

1 Like

Why would a kde dev have to look for a bug in a third party app ?

The bug report is more a formal bug report in bugs.kde.org about the change that implies the segfault.

I suppose if developer put this warning:

WARNING: KDE Plasma 5.26 introduced a change which induces segfaults. Please do not use Klassy with Plasma 5.26. Development of Klassy will continue only once Plasma developers fix their bug.

He also made a formal and precise bug report about the problem, otherwise thatā€™s sure the bug heā€™s talking about may never be fixed :slight_smile:

Grum999

Exactly. If devs would have to look for every bug in any app other than their own field, development would have to be measured in decades.

Probably this one 459778 ā€“ Screen occasionally freezes "EGL_BAD_SURFACE" errors when launching application while using the Klassy window decoration

1 Like

@akselmo asked for the bug report and you responded with that picture (which is not a bug report). It just looked really funny :slight_smile:

I also found that. Seems hard to reproduce tough.
Maybe I should try as well. It has been a while since I managed to break my system.

My bad. Shouldā€™ve explained clearly that itā€™s not a bug report but that the developer slightly mentioned something about it on his github page in a tiny font. Iā€™ll delete the confusing screenshot right away.