Can the scrollbar background always be shown, like in Windows?

A pity this thread descended into name-calling, as I think the OP is making a very valid point.

That is that I the fashionable minimalistic arrowless scrollbars are not as usable for many people than the traditional ones that we’ve had since the 1980s.

It isn’t only old people, I find I sometimes need to scroll a a small increment and that an arrow is the best way to do it.

I’m not caring as much about the background, but think the separator opacity could have been reduced or something rather than removing the background. I also think the new “Clicking in scrollbar track” setting as “scrolls to the clicked location” by default is a bad change - now not only do you not have arrows, but you cannot scroll a small increment by default at all!

OP, you might want to try my Klassy application style. It is a fork of Breeze and mainly a change to the window decoration, but there are also changes in the Application Style. One of them is that, unlike Breeze 6.02, Klassy 6 still has the scrollbar background.

I have also been trying to work on a way to address the fashionistas’ desire for scrollbar minimalism yet still keeping scrollbar functionality - my scrollbar design is not complete yet but it is like this now:
scrollbar_mouseover

I have made the scrollbars configurable in the Application Style settings as well, so for your use-case of something traditional, you probably would want to untick “Auto-hide arrows” and set “Slider thickness when mouse is not over” to 100%:

2 Likes