Image preview doesn't work in Dolphin, but only when using Firefox file selection (ie upload a file to a website, pic the file to upload)

22min

I’ve only noticed this problem when using Firefox to select a file to upload. The image preview, hover over to get a popup of the image, and the icons view mode don’t work.

I’m on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and using Firefox.

I’ve similar problem but seems not Firefox related as my problem is that the image previews are unable for the file saved on a network path (LAN).
If I put them on local pc, desktop for example, image previews work.
Have I to open a different post or directly a bug on bugtracker?

Is you firefox run through flatpack ?

That’s completely different. Are talking smb:// or network filesystem ?
For the smb:// case, previews are currently disabled.

I’ll open a new thread for this because probably I’ve another problem with read/write file permissions on network folders.
Anyway, good to know that smb previews are disabled…but I think that it’s not my case as those directories and files are mapped network drive… I’ll open a different thread, sorry to have added noise here.

No, it’s installed from the SUSE repo

I had this problem after upgrading to Plasma 6 on two laptops running Manjaro unstable, the only solution that worked for me is to delete ~/.config/kdeglobals then reboot.

For me, all that toolbar’s buttons had many bugs, for example enabling any option is not permanent upon reopening, and the worst is that some of the buttons aren’t enabled even they are marked enabled in toolbar.

NB: by removing that file, you will lose many customizations, so make sure to make a backup before removing it.

With this network folder setup should I have the image file preview?

Did you check this setting? see screenshots

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240502
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.1.0
Qt Version: 6.7.0
Kernel Version: 6.8.8-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5825U with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 62.1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP ProBook 455 15.6 inch G9 Notebook PC

And check the “Skip preview for remote files above”, put 5 or 10 MB to have previews for images.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip.
It solved one issue I had.

Your file upload is different from mine. see screenshots
Not sure if it changes based on the site.

What site are you uploading to?
Could be a theme difference, I’m using openSUSE Global Theme.

KDE 5 or 6?

That’s a different issue, your firefox is using gtk file picker.
You can follow the documentation at Firefox - ArchWiki to solve this and use KDE file picker.

1 Like

In firefox about:config you could set widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker to 1.

thanks, this helped me with my smb fstab mounts and mergerfs! (I’m not OP)

Yes, that is selected. Dolphin works as expected… unless I’m uploaded a file from firefox.

If I use Edge, the file picker works as epected. It’s only Firefox.

And check the “Skip preview for remote files above”, put 5 or 10 MB to have previews for images.

Where is this setting done at?

I found it. This changed nothing.

Did this and restarted Firefox, nothing changed.

Are xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde packages installed?

Yes: