kdenlive-23.08.3-x86_64.AppImage not working either

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, after appimage 23.08.2 (Kdenlive 23.08.2 released - #14 by barry),
the latest appimage version 23.08.3 is not working either ! :sob:

Is this below the only explanation ?

– and in it the only solution ? (–> moving to Debian 12)

Thanks in advance for confirmations.

ludo

1 Like

That could be. Moving the build system from Jenkins to GitLab is still ongoing and we prepare Kdenlive to run with Qt6. See here the requirements for Qt6.

We released AppImage 23.08.3-A in the meantime with some fixes. Check the download-page.

Yes, this is very likely going to be true for all future releases unless the build environment is downgraded, or whatever is generating code in the appimage which uses symbols from a libstdc++ release later than the one in Debian 11 et. al. stops doing that (and both those things are most probably Backward Steps in the Overall Scheme Of Things).

It’s not a “bug” in kdenlive introduced by the kdenlive developers, or likely one they can “fix” in kdenlive - it’s an artifact of building the appimage with a newer toolchain.

What is the problem with updating to Debian 12 if you want to use the newest releases of kdenlive? Debian 12 became the current stable release ~5 months ago now, and any regressions with updating to it should be reported to the package(s) concerned there …

1 Like

I confirm that version kdenlive-23.08.3-x86_64-A.AppImage still not working in LMDE5 (Debian 11).

Hi ludo, I’ve installed the flatpak version 23.08.3 in a VM with LMDE5 and it works but…but…why should I have to install 3GB or more of stuff in flatpak version when the AppImage is only 206MB?? Strange things and strange world! Also, I’m little bit confused: I don’t understand, but shouldn’t the libraries be implemented in the AppImage regardless of the distribution or version used? This should be the goal of the AppImage packaging, or I think wrong??

The appimage only bundles the “application libraries” - roughly speaking, the things which if you installed a distro packaged version would be dependencies on additional optional packages. It still uses the low level system libraries and kernel from the base system it is running on. It’s not a self-contained bootable image.

In the case of the 23.08.3 appimage, the kdenlive binary in the appimage is linked to the following system libraries not shipped by the appimage:

linux-vdso.so.1
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2
libX11.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6
libstdc++.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
libxcb.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1
libGL.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1
librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1
libXau.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6
libXdmcp.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6
libGLdispatch.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLdispatch.so.0
libGLX.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX.so.0
libbsd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0
libmd.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmd.so.0

And the acceptable versions of those is going to depend mainly on the build environment. So when it was updated then (this time) so was the minimum version of distro system libs needed to use it.

And since LMDE6 is also their current stable release - this shouldn’t be a problem for anyone wanting to use a bleeding edge appimage, should it?

Now it’s clear to me how the Kdenlive AppImage works! Thank you for your answer.

Hello everyone, hello Ron,

@Ron : Yes, from me as well: thanks for your explanations!

No, of course updating Debian 11 to 12 is not a problem in itself, the only problem is time! :sweat_smile:
In the end I’ll come to it. But probably not before year’s end…

In the meantime, I’ll go on working (for the little bits and pieces that I have to do) with kdenlive-22.12.2-x86_64.AppImage.

And will most probably have a very pleasant surprise in the new year with the then valid version… :wink:

Cheers - and let the developers keep up the good spirit!

Ludo

We might have fixed this for the next release. However using the latest (LTS) version of your distro is something I recommend anyway.

(See [Kdenlive] Use checkrt Appimage plugin (6ab2d63e) · Commits · Packaging / KDE Craft Blueprints · GitLab for technical details)

kdenlive.appimage is broken on Arch based systems as well.

Thank you all for the discussion above.

I am always resistant to the ‘chasing-your-tail’ upgrade cycle, but I finally decided to save my files & upgrade to Debian 12 for the sake of being able to run the latest versions of kdenlive. I made a clean install of MX Linux 23.1. It was quite painful & it will take me some days to get it the way I like, but I am glad I made the move.

THE GOOD NEWS
I am happy to report the issues of the app not starting are fixed: 23.08.2 issues starting up. No older 23 releases in Archives and also this nagging popup about KIO worker that I had is fixed: [kdenlive] Unable to create KIO worker. Can not find a KIO worker for protocol 'tags'

The latest version (23.08.4) appears to start fine. Except I don’t know what’s up with downloading Whisper speech-to-text components: it doesn’t seem to work properly. But that might be for another post.

2 Likes